Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Elephant on Pedestal


Elephant on Pedestal
Originally uploaded by art progress
When I was growing up, I didn't think much of art. Even when I started playing and writing music in bands, I didn't really connect the two ideas (music as art). As I developed as a musician, and unintentionally as an artist, my appreciation for the arts grew.

Kaylin's influence is huge. She helped and inspired me to take my first steps to become an artist, an occupation that I now consider my calling to life.

This is my first painting. For me, it's monumental. For the last 6 months or so I've been busy training my eyes and hands while working towards developing a personal style by making mostly ink and pencil drawings. I've pined for this moment for months and I've finally made it! I've become a painter, and an artist!

The point of this blog is to illustrate my journey to artist-dom. It will chronicle my last six months or so of work. Over the next days, weeks and months I will be updating this blog with the work I put in to achieve this modest, yet hugely personally important watercolour.

Welcome,
Blake Betteridge.

5 comments:

Bryan Kulba said...

i declare first painting = awesome!!!

Rosey declares it too!!!

Ashley Andel said...

Good for you, Blake!

Just because you've completed your first painting doesn't mean you're now qualified to be an artist. You were one a long time ago. Remember--there is no difference between a piano and a paintbrush.

Your pencil drawings are very good as well.

keep at it!

a'a

dawn said...

I have that tea pot.

cayliedawn said...

dear blake,
1. kaylin told me about your recent watercolor painting today. cute!!!
2. all those things that you are talking about regarding learning techniques and stuff: i want to learn those too, but i have no idea where to start. maybe you and kaylin could teach me sometime? we could have arts and crafts dates?
your friend,
caylie

Maek Raymond Hayes said...

I love you blake.